Monday, February 18, 2013

Logos

After searching on the web, I found some logos that I was familiar with and critiqued each one on its appearance and how effective it is.

I chose Blondie's Cookies because I work here part time. The company started out in Indiana and the owner "Blondie" opened 4 stores down in Florida. I like this logo because it is a giant cookie, so it's very obvious what she sells, even if it didn't have the name of the cookie shop on it. I think having the bite in the cookie gives it a unique look, setting it aside from any other picture of a cookie, such as Chips-o-Hoy! or Mrs. Fields. Some things I don't like about the logo is that the brown color is a little boring to me, I think it should be a more "chocolate" brown to give the cookie a more appealing look.
Gigi's Cupcakes is one of the most popular cupcake companies around the United States. There is one located in downtown Tampa that I recently visited. This logo is something that I would love to do something like for my "What's Baking?" company. In this logo, I like the curly letters in the name "GiGi" and of course the unique looking cupcake. The colors make it vibrant and it stands out. One thing that may not benefit this logo though is that without the name of the company, I am not sure if the cupcake is distinguishable enough to represent the company on its own.
This is Starbucks' older logo. It is very recognizable, and their business has established itself enough that they stopped putting the actual "Starbucks Coffee" around the mermaid goddess. Although the image is very recognizable to everyone for their coffee, I always wondered where they got the logo and how the girl represents a coffee company. If I were to start a coffee company I would have made it a coffee bean or a coffee cup with steam coming out of it. But maybe that's just it, maybe their company wanted to go with something abstract that made it so different from all the rest of the coffee companies.
Coldstone has established itself well with their signature "ice cream cone" logo. I like the cone and clearly it represents their product right away. I don't know if I would have chosen those exact colors. The mustard yellow and red remind me of the McDonalds logo, which is maybe what they were going for to attract attention. But I would have picked a pastel color for the actual ice cream because that makes me think of sweet and cute. I think this logo definitely is geared towards kids because the ice cream is clearly recognizable to them and when they see it, they will want to go in that store.
Dairy Queen's logo is one that I am not very fond of. From what I know, Dairy queen is known for their ice cream and blizzards and I know they sell hot dogs and other fast food as well. But their logo doesn't have anything to do with their product. If the  DQ was not in the center of the logo, it isn't as recognizable because the shape and colors don't really stand out to me. I think if they made a different shape or had different color combinations, then it would be more of an effective logo for me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment